Site Info

Bad news everybody!

Okay so this\'ll be short, but in all likelihood, I am going to be shutting this page down. It\'s expensive (very), and I do not think it\'s needed anymore given the success of GOG.com, Abandonia, and a few others. I simply don\'thave the time to keep it up and running, nor can do I have the time to make it the kickass community that I think it needs to be. I tried to ping abandonia about taking it over, but I never got a response. if anyone else has any alternative ideas, drop me a line at admin at hotud.org and we can figure something out.

Review Detail

System Shock
RPG
Written by Underdogs     March 21, 2009    
System Shock is one of those games that literally changed things in the industry, and had an impact that is still being seen.

On the one hand, you had a change in how the story was told. Rather than limiting it to static cut-scenes of what's happening now, you got in-game messages that showed you how things WERE. You never showed up in time to intervene, just pick up the pieces and do damage control.

On the other hand, you had RPG-style inventory control and upgradeable abilities in a first-person shooter. Previously, the only upgrades you got in an FPS were new guns, and maybe an increase in ammo-capacity.

No one had done these sort of things before, and they changed the way people thought about action games. You can still see the effects, in titles like Dead Space.

Do a little searching around online; someone has packaged the CD-version of System Shock in an executable that incorporates DOSBox, and is small enough to be run directly from a USB thumb drive.
test 

LonePaladin Reviewed by LonePaladin May 26, 2011
Top 100 Reviewer  -   View all my reviews (2)

Perpetual Influence

System Shock is one of those games that literally changed things in the industry, and had an impact that is still being seen.

On the one hand, you had a change in how the story was told. Rather than limiting it to static cut-scenes of what's happening now, you got in-game messages that showed you how things WERE. You never showed up in time to intervene, just pick up the pieces and do damage control.

On the other hand, you had RPG-style inventory control and upgradeable abilities in a first-person shooter. Previously, the only upgrades you got in an FPS were new guns, and maybe an increase in ammo-capacity.

No one had done these sort of things before, and they changed the way people thought about action games. You can still see the effects, in titles like Dead Space.

Do a little searching around online; someone has packaged the CD-version of System Shock in an executable that incorporates DOSBox, and is small enough to be run directly from a USB thumb drive.

Was this review helpful to you?